Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
* ½ tsp onion powder
* ½ tsp garlic powder
* ½ tsp salt
* ¼ tsp ground black pepper
* ¼ tsp dried oregano
* 2 tbsp all purpose flour
* 2 tbsp olive oil, plus more if needed
* 2 tbsp white onions, chopped
* 2 tbsp red or green bell peppers, chopped
* 1 tbsp celery, chopped
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 150 grams chicken thigh fillets, skinless, cut into bite-sized pieces
* 75 grams okra, sliced into ¼-inch thick rounds
* ¼ tsp dried thyme, or 10 to 12 sprigs fresh thyme
* 1 cup brown rice, uncooked
* cayenne pepper (to taste)
* parsley, chopped (to garnish)
1) Combine paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, oregano and flour in a bowl. Set aside.
2) Heat olive oil in a saucepot. Sauté onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
3) In the same pot, heat more olive oil if necessary. Coat chicken pieces in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Set aside remaining flour. Pan-fry chicken in batches until golden brown. Set aside.
4) Add reserved seasoned flour to the same pot and stir over low heat to make a roux. Cook until paste is the color of peanut butter.
5) Stir in sautéed vegetables, sausage, tomatoes and bay leaf.
6) Slowly add stock, water, stirring well to prevent lumps. Bring to a boil.
7) Add chicken, okra, thyme and rice. Cook over low heat until rice and okra are tender, about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt, pepper and cayenne pepper.
8) Remove bay leaf. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with parsley. Serve hot.