Fried Radish Cake
* 1 (500 gram) daikon radish, or Chinese turnip, grated
* 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
* 1 tbsp dried shrimp (hibe), washed, soaked and chopped, plus extra to garnish
* 3 to 5 dried Chinese mushrooms, washed , soaked and chopped
* 1 chinese sausage, diced
* 1 green onion, chopped, plus extra to garnish
* 1 cup rice flour
* 1 tbsp cornstarch
* ½ tsp salt
* ½ tsp sugar
* ¼ tsp pepper
* 1 medium egg, beaten
* oyster sauce (optional)
1) Place grated radish and 1 cup water in a wok or large pan and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally so radish does not brown. (Note: The radish will release some liquid; cook until about ¾ cup liquid is left in the pan.) Pour radish and liquid into a large mixing bowl. Let cool.
2) Heat 2 tablespoons in another pan over medium heat. Add dried shrimp, mushrooms and sausage ; cook for about 5 minutes. Stir in green onions. Remove from heat. Let cool.
3) Add rice flour, cornstarch, salt, sugar and pepper to the radish mixture. Mix until well incorporated. Add sausage mixture, making sure to scrape the oil from the pan into the batter. Mix well and let it sit for about 15 minutes.
4) Prepare a steamer over medium high heat. Grease a 3×5-inch loaf pan with oil.
5) Give batter a final stir then pour it into the prepared pan. Place pan in steamer and steam for 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let cool for 30 minutes to allow radish cake to set.
6) Loosen sides with a spatula and transfer cake to a cutting board. Dip a sharp knife in water and slice loaf into ½-inch thick pieces. Chill.
7) Heat remaining oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Dip radish cakes in egg then fry on both sides until golden brown and crispy. Sprinkle with toasted hibe and chopped green onions. Serve with oyster sauce.