Purple Rice and Kani Maki
* 1 cup glutinous violet rice, cooked according to package directions
* 2 tbsp sugar
* 3 tbsp Japanese rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
* 5 sheets nori (sushi wrapper)
* 15 pieces crabstick (kani), thin, sliced in half lengthwise
* ½ medium carrot, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch thick sticks
* ½ medium cucumber, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch thick strips
* ½ ripe mango, sliced into 1/8-inch thick strips
* 1 small red bell pepper, cored and sliced into 1/8-inch thick strips
* fish rice (tobiko)
* Japanese soy sauce and wasabi paste (to serve)
1) Make the sushi rice: Place hot, freshly cooked rice in a large bowl. Dissolve sugar in a vinegar. Pour over rice and mix well. Let cool.
2) Cover a bamboo sushi mat with plastic wrap. Place a nori sheet, shiny side down, on the mat. (Note: Use 1 whole sheet of nori for big rolls and half a sheet for smaller rolls.) With wet hands, spread a thin layer of rice on the nori.
3) Position the long side of the mat nearest you. Arrange 3 crabsticks in a horizontal line on the center of the rice. Add a combination of 2 filling ingredients (like cucumber and mango) beside the crabsticks.
4) Take the long edge of the mat, keeping the filling in place with your fingers and roll into a tight cylinder, using the mat to shape the roll. Set aside. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
5) Using a sharp knife, trim the edges of the rolls, slice each roll in half, then slice each half into three equal pieces.
6) Top each piece with fish roe. Serve with soy sauce and wasabi on the side.