Mushroom and Red Rice Burger
* 4 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
* 1 cup beets, grated
* 5 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 ½ cup shiitake or Portobello mushrooms
* 1 cup red rice, cooked
* 4 tbsp soy sauce
* 1 cup red beans, canned, rinsed and drained
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* ½ cup Japanese mayonnaise
* 2 to 3 tbsp sriracha
* 1 clove garlic, grated finely
* 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
* ½ cup rice wine vinegar
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 tbsp sugar
* 2 medium cucumbers, sliced into thin ribbons
* 6 burger buns, halved and toasted
* black sesame seeds, toasted (to garnish)
1) Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Sauté beets and garlic until soft and fragrant, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook for 5 to 10 minutes. Add rice and soy sauce; stir until combined. Remove from heat. Stir in beans, mashing them slightly. Let cool.
2) Divide mixture into six equal portions. Form each into ¾-inch thick patty, packing tightly, and place on a baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes to 1 hour to set.
3) Make the chili mayo: Stir together ingredients until combined. Set aside.
4) Make the pickled cucumbers: Bring rice wine vinegar, ¾ cup water, salt and sugar to a boil in a saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat and pour over sliced cucumbers in a heatproof bowl. Cover and let cool. Set aside.
5) Heat remaining oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium high heat until oil begins to shimmer. Cook patties in batches until brown and crispy, about 4 to 5 minutes per side.
6) Spread 1 tablespoon chili mayo on the bottom half of each burger bun. Top with patties and pickled cucumbers. Sprinkle toasted sesame seeds on top then top with remaining burger bun halves.