Chicken and Chorizo Stew
* 1 kilo chicken thigh fillets
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* 2 ½ tbsp olive oil
* 1 (150 gram) piece chorizo Pamplona, sliced into ½-inch rounds
* 6 strips bacon, sliced into ½-inch pieces
* ¾ cup white onions, chopped
* 1 tbsp garlic ,minced
* 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
* ½ (185 gram) can pimiento, drained and sliced into strips
* 2 tbsp all purpose flour
* 3 cups chicken stock
* 1 tsp smoked paprika
* 1 (450 gram) can chickpeas, drained, rinsed and skin removed
* basil leaves (to garnish)
1) Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed casserole or Dutch oven on high heat. When almost smoking, sear chicken in batches until browned. Set aside.
2) In the same pan over medium heat, fry chorizo until browned and fat has been rendered; set aside. In the same pan, fry bacon until lightly browned; set aside.
3) In the same pan, sauté onions, garlic and tomatoes until fragrant and tender, about 5 minutes. Add pimiento and sauté for a few seconds; Add flour, mix well and cook for 1 minute.
4) Return chicken, chorizo and bacon to the pan. Add stock and paprika. Bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until sauce has reduced and thickened slightly.
5) Add chickpeas and cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a serving dish, garnish with basil leaves and serve with steamed rice.