Spiced Lentils and Rice
* ¾ cup green lentils
* ¾ cup brown rice
* ½ tsp coarse salt, plus more to season
* 1 cup fresh cilantro (wansoy) , minced (optional) , to garnish
* 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 2 tbsp whole coriander seeds
* 1 tbsp whole cumin seeds
* 4 cups red onions, sliced into thin half moons
* 1 ½ tsp coarse salt
* ½ tsp black pepper
* 6 cloves garlic, sliced thinly (optional)
1) Rinse lentils and brown rice together in a sieve under running water. Drain and place in a medium saucepan. Add 3 cups of water and ½ teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then decrease heat to medium low to simmer, partially covered, until cooked and no water remains in the pot, about 30 to 35 minutes. Do not stir. (Note: Alternatively, you can cook the lentils and rice in a rice cooker.) Remove from heat and set aside, covered, for at least 10 minutes.
2) Meanwhile , make the caramelized onions: Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add coriander and cumin seeds; let them sizzle and pop until toasty, about 30 to 60 seconds. Mix in onions, salt and pepper. Decrease heat to medium-low and cook until caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 15 to 20 minutes. If the onions start sticking to the pan, add 1 to 2 tablespoons water and scrape up the brown bits. Add garlic and cook for another 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Set aside ¼ cup of the caramelized onions.
3) Add caramelized onions into lentil mixture and mix. Add cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4) Top with remaining caramelized onions and garnish with more cilantro, if desired.