No Bake Fruit Trifle
* 12 large eggs, yolks only
* 2/3 cup sugar
* 1/3 cup cornstarch
* ½ tsp salt
* 4 cups milk
* 3 (90 gram) packs gulaman, strawberry flavored
* 4 packs butter cake, store-bought, quartered
* 1/3 cup rum, sherry or cognac, or orange flavored liqueur
* 1 (453 gram) can cherry pie filling, or strawberry pie filling, or fresh tropical fruit
* whipped cream, for garnish (optional)
1) Whisk together yolks from 12 large eggs, sugar, cornstarch and salt in a medium bowl until pale and fluffy; set aside.
2) Simmer milk in a large saucepan over medium heat. Turn off heat and pour milk into egg mixture while whisking continuously. Pour egg mixture back to the pan, and cook over medium heat until thick. Pour custard into a bowl, place plastic wrap directly on the surface and chill.
3) Prepare gulaman according to package directions. Pour into a clear trifle or serving bowl; chill for 1 to 2 hours or until jelly is set. Arrange cake on top of prepared jelly. Gently brush rum or orange flavored liqueur on top of cake layer. Pour chilled custard over the cake. Top with pie filling or fruit. Top with whipped cream, if desired.