* ½ cup Japanese mayonnaise
* 2 tbsp catsup
* ½ tsp togerashi (Japanese chili powder)
* 1 tsp mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
* vegetable oil (to deep fry)
* 8 cups cauliflower (cut into florets)
* 3 tbsp mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
* 2 tsp salt
* 1 tsp black pepper
* 1 cup all purpose flour, plus more to dredge
* ¾ cup cornstarch
* 1 ¾ cups soda water, ice cold
1) Make the spiced mayonnaise: Combine all ingredients. Set aside.
2) Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pot.
3) Toss cauliflower florets in mirin, salt and pepper.
4) Combine flour and cornstarch in a bowl. Whisk in soda and mix just until combined.
5) Dust cauliflower florets with flour then dip in batter. Fry until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Slice florets in half and serve with spiced mayonnaise.