Fried Mac and Cheese Balls
* 500 grams elbow macaroni
* 2 tbsp unsalted butter
* 2 tbsp all purpose flour
* 2 cups milk, warmed
* 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
* ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* 2 large eggs, beaten with 2 tablespoons milk
* 3 cups breadcrumbs, seasoned
* vegetable oil (to deep fry)
* bottled marinara, or buffalo sauce (to serve)
1) Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold running water to stop the cooking process. Drain again and set aside.
2) Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle flour over butter and whisk for 2 minutes. Whisk in warm milk, making sure no lumps form. Cook until sauce is thick, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat, add cheese and stir until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
3) Fold in cooked macaroni. Pour mixture into a bowl and refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
4) Shape mac and cheese into golf ball sized pieces using an ice cream scooper. Place on a parchment paper-lined tray. Freeze balls overnight.
5) Place beaten eggs and breadcrumbs in separate shallow bowls. Dip frozen egg balls in egg then coat in breadcrumbs. Freeze until ready to fry.
6) Heat oil in a deep pot. Deep fry mac and cheese balls until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate. Serve with marinara or buffalo sauce.