* ½ cup cold water
* 3 tbsp unflavored gelatin
* 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
* 1 cup cornstarch
* 2/3 cup light corn syrup
* 1 cup sugar
* ½ cup water
* vanilla beans , or other flavorings of your choice (crushed cookie bits, coconut flakes, chopped nuts or melted chocolate)
1) Grease a 9×13-inch rectangular baking pan with oil and line with plastic wrap. Mix cold water and unflavored gelatin powder in a small bowl; bloom for 5 minutes. Combine confectioners’ sugar and cornstarch; set aside.
2) Cook gelatin in a saucepan over low heat until melted, 1-2 minutes. Pour gelatin into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment; set aside. Mix light corn syrup, sugar and water in a saucepan until sugar has dissolved; cook over medium high heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until syrup is reaches soft-ball stage, or a candy thermometer reads 240˚F.
3) Once syrup is ready, start whisking gelatin on medium-low speed . Slowly pour in syrup, whisking continuously for 5 minutes or until opaque white. Increase speed to high and whisk until mixture has doubled in volume , 3 to 4 minutes . Fold in flavorings like vanilla beans, crushed cookie bits, coconut flakes, chopped nuts or melted chocolate.
4) Quickly pour mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. Remove marshmallow from pan and peel off plastic wrap. Cover with sugar-cornstarch mixture. Cut into 1 ½-inch cubes using a knife or a pizza cutter.