Carbonara with Mushroom Bacon
* ¼ cup cashew nuts, raw, unsalted
* 1 (500 gram) pack fettuccine noodles
* 2 tbsp olive oil
* ¾ cup white onions, diced
* 2 ¾ tsp sea salt, plus more for the noodles
* ½ tsp ground black pepper
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 (300-gram) pack silken tofu, rinsed and drained
* ¾ cup soy milk, unsweetened
* 2 tbsp lemon juice
* 1 bunch asparagus, sliced into 2-inch pieces and blanched
1) Place cashews in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let sit until soft, about 30 minutes to 1 hour. Rinse, drain and set aside.
2) Make the mushroom bacon: Pre-heat oven to 375˚F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Toss together mushrooms, oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Place on baking sheet and roast until crisp, about 30 minutes.
3) Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add 1 to 2 teaspoons salt. Cook noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside; do not rinse.
4) Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Cook onions until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until golden, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
5) Place onion mixture, cashews, tofu, soy milk and lemon juice in a blender. Process until smooth. Season to taste. Transfer sauce to a saucepan and simmer over medium heat until heated through.
6) Mix together noodles, half of the mushroom bacon and asparagus and carbonara sauce. Top with more mushrooms and asparagus.