Beef and Dumpling Noodle Soup
* 1 kilo beef, use knee cap
* 1 tbsp sesame oil
* 1 large white onion, chopped
* 1 head garlic, peeled and pounded
* 500 grams beef, use , sliced into 2-inch chunks
* 2 pcs star anise
* 1 stick cinnamon, around 2 inches
* 1 pc ginger (thumb-sized) , sliced
* ¼ cup soy sauce
* ¼ cup oyster sauce
* 2 tbsp rice wine
* 1 tbsp sugar
* ½ cup leeks, chopped
* 2 cups beef stock, or more as needed
* 1 pack thin egg noodles, around 300 grams
* 125 grams ground pork
* 1 tsp green onions, chopped
* 1 tsp soy sauce
* ½ tsp ginger, grated
* 100 grams shrimp
* 12 dumpling wrappers
1) Place beef knee cap in a large pot over medium heat. Cover with water and boil for 30 minutes. Drain then cover again with water. Season with salt and pepper. Lower heat and simmer for 2 hours or until tendon is soft, adding more water if pot dries up. Set aside to cool.
2) Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic. Add brisket and sear on both sides until brown. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with 4 cups water. Boil for 30 minutes, removing impurities that rise to the surface.
3) Add star anise, cinnamon, ginger, soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice wine and sugar. Lower heat and simmer for 2 ½ hours or until beef is tender.
4) Meanwhile, make the dumplings: Combine pork, green onions, soy sauce and ginger. Take 1 tablespoon of mixture and 1 shrimp and place on the center of a dumpling wrapper. Wet edges with water and pinch to seal. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Set aside in the refrigerator.
5) Remove tendon from knee cap and add to the pot with the brisket. Add leeks and beef stock. Adjust seasoning to taste.
6) Add dumplings to the pot and cook for 7 minutes. Add noodles and cook for 3 minutes.
7) Divide noodles, beef brisket , tendon and dumplings among serving bowls. Serve hot.