Salted Caramel Brownies
* ¾ cup butter, melted
* 1 2/3 cup sugar
* 2 large eggs
* 1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
* ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
* 1 tsp baking powder
* ¼ tsp salt
* ¾ cup sugar
* 3 tbsp butter
* 1/3 cup whipping cream
* flaky sea salt (to top)
1) Pre-heat oven to 350◦F.
2) Grease and line an 8×8-inch baking pan with the parchment paper, leaving a 1-inch overhang for easy lifting.
3) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix butter and sugar on medium speed until combined.
4) Add eggs one at a time and mix until combined. Add vanilla.
5) Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in another bowl. Turn speed to low and add flour mixture to butter-sugar mixture; mix just until combined. Do not over-mix.
6) Make the caramel: Place sugar and ¼ cup water in a saucepan over medium high heat. Whisk gently in the beginning to make sure sugar dissolves. Boil until temperature reads 350◦F on a candy thermometer. Heat butter and cream in another saucepan until melted. Once sugar reaches 350◦F, remove from heat and gently whisk in butter-cream mixture in a slow stream. Place saucepan over low heat and whisk continuously until mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes.
7) Pour caramel on top of cooled brownies. Chill for at least 5 hours (overnight is best).
8) Slice into squares and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.