Grilled Eggplant Casserole
* 2 ½ cups tomato sauce
* 1 cup whipping cream
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* 3 large eggplants, about 500 grams, sliced into ½-inch thick rounds
* olive oil
* 1 cup mozzarella, shredded
1) Pre-heat oven to 375˚F.
2) Combine tomato sauce and cream in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
3) Pre-heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Toss eggplant slices in olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill for 1 to 2 minutes per side.
4) Spread ½ cup tomato cream sauce on the bottom of a small baking dish. Add eggplant, then top with ½ to ¾ cup tomato cream sauce. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup mozzarella. Repeat to make two more layers, ending with mozzarella on top.
5) Bake, covered with foil, in the pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until cheese is completely melted. Serve hot.