Beef and Potato Stew
* 500 grams beef sirloin, sliced thinly
* 1 tsp vegetable oil
* 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
* 2 medium white onions, sliced thinly
* 1 medium carrot, sliced into 1 ½-inch pieces
* 1 cup water or dashi stock
* 6 tbsp sugar
* 4 tbsp Japanese soy sauce
* 4 tbsp mirin
* sliced leeks (for garnish)
* salt (to season)
1) Season beef with salt. Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add beef and cook until brown.
2) Add potatoes, onions and carrot; cook for 1 minute.
3) Add water or dashi stock, cover and cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4) Season with sugar, soy sauce, mirin and salt. Cook for 10 more minutes. Remove from heat and let rest for 30 minutes. Garnish with leeks.