Halaan at Tahong sa Gata
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 shallot, chopped finely
* 1 thumb-sized piece turmeric, chopped finely
* 1 stalk lemongrass, trimmed, outer layers removed, and chopped finely
* 1 bird’s eye chili (siling labuyo)
* 2 cups coconut milk
* 500 grams mussel, rinsed well
* 500 grams manila clams, scrubbed and soaked in water
* ½ tsp fish sauce (patis)
* ½ cup cilantro, leaves only
1) Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Cook shallots, garlic, turmeric, lemongrass and chili until soft, about 3 minutes.
2) Add coconut milk, mussels and clams. Cook, covered, until shells open, about 5 to 7 minutes. Discard any shells that remain closed.
3) Remove from heat, and transfer mussels and clams to a serving bowl. Stir in fish sauce and cilantro into the broth in the pot. Adjust seasoning, if necessary. Pour broth over mussels and clams. Serve hot.