Laing with Crispy Shrimp
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 500 grams pork belly, diced
* 2 tbsp garlic, chopped
* 2 tbsp ginger, cut into strips
* 2 pcs green finger chilies (siling pangsigang)
* 3 cups coconut cream
* 3 cups dried taro leaves
* 2 cups pork stock
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* bird’s eye chilies (siling labuyo), sliced
* 1 cup vegetable oil
* 1 cup dried shrimp, or hibe
* 3 tbsp sugar
* 1 tbsp vinegar
1) Heat oil in a large pot. Fry pork until browned. Set pork aside.
2) In the same pot, sauté onions, garlic, ginger and chilies. Add coconut cream; simmer for 25 minutes. Bring mixture to a boil. Add taro leaves; mix. Add stock; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 ½ hours or until leaves are soft and wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in fried pork.
3) Make the crispy shrimp: Heat oil in a pan. Fry shrimp for 2 minutes. Add sugar and vinegar. Cook for 2 more minutes. Drain and set aside.
4) Transfer laing to a serving plate. Top with crispy shrimp and garnish with chilies, if desired.