* vegetable oil (to deep fry)
* 250 grams purple yam (ube), scrubbed thoroughly, skin left on
* salt (to season)
* garlic powder (to season)
* barbecue powder (to season)
1) Pre-heat oil in a large, deep, heavy bottomed pot until temperature registers 325˚F on a deep fry thermometer.
2) Slice ube into 1/8-inch thick pieces using a mandoline or peeler.
3) Deep fry ube slices in batches until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a large , paper towel-lined bowl. Sprinkle with salt, garlic powder or barbecue powder while hot; toss to coat. Serve immediately or cool completely to an air-tight container.