Bulalo with Lemongrass
* 1 whole beef shank, bone-in, cut crosswise into large chunks to expose marrow
* 500 gram beef kneecap, cut into cubes
* 500 grams beef short ribs
* 2 white onions, sliced
* 2 bulbs lemongrass, trimmed and pounded
* 3 cloves garlic, chopped
* 1 tsp whole black peppercorns
* 2 tbsp fish sauce (patis)
* 2 cobs corn, cut into 1-inch thick pieces
* 2 saba bananas, peeled and sliced
* ½ head cabbage, cut into large chunks
* 150 grams baguio beans
* 1 bunch pechay, native
* 2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
* salt (to taste)
1) Place beef shanks, kneecap and short ribs in a large pot. Cover completely with water and boil until juices of the bones run clear.
2) Return meat and bones to the pot over medium heat. Add onions, lemongrass, garlic, peppercorns and fish sauce. Cover with water then bring to a rolling boil; skimming off any impurities that rise to the surface. Lower heat to medium low.
3) Simmer until beef is fork tender, about 4 to 5 hours; making sure meat is completely covered with water at all times. (Alternatively, you can cook the meat in a pressure cooker for 1 ½ hours.)
4) Transfer meat and bones to a bowl, then strain soup through a fine-mesh sieve. Discard solids, then return meat and bones to the strained stock. Add corn, bananas, cabbage, green beans, pechay and potatoes. Simmer for another 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Season to taste with salt. Serve hot.