Ginataang Halo Halo
* 1 cup glutinous rice flour
* 1 tbsp rice flour
* ½ cup warm water (plus 1 tablespoon)
* 4 cups coconut milk (gata, fresh is best)
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 cup jackfruit (langka), shredded
* 3 cups yellow sweet potatoes (kamote), cubed
* 1 cup taro root (gabi), cubed
* 1 ½ cup purple yam (ube), cubed
* 1 ¼ cups saba bananas, sliced (you may also use plantains)
* 2 cups tapioca pearls (sago), cooked
* 1 cup coconut cream, (kakang gata, fresh is best)
1) Make the glutinous rice balls: Combine glutinous rice flour, and rice flour. Add warm water and knead to form a dough. Take ½ tablespoon dough and roll in your palms to form a ball. Place on a plate. Repeat with the rest of the dough. Cover balls with plastic wrap. Set aside.
2) Boil 3 cups water, coconut milk, sugar and jackfruit in a pot over medium heat. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
3) Add sweet potatoes, taro, purple yam and saba. Simmer until tender. Add glutinous rice balls and tapioca pearls. Simmer for 5 to 8 minutes.
4) Add coconut cream and simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve hot.