* 500 grams squash, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes, about 3 cups
* 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
* salt (to taste)
* pepper (to taste)
* 5 medium eggplants
* 1 cup red onion, diced
* 1 head garlic, divided
* 3 tablespoons ginger, finely chopped
* 2 bird’s eye chilies (siling labuyo)
* 200 grams yard-long beans (sitaw), sliced into 3-inch pieces, about 2 cups
* 1 ½ cups coconut milk, preferably fresh
1) Pre-heat oven to 425˚F.
2) Toss squash with 1 tablespoon oil. Season with pinches of salt and pepper. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside.
3) Prick eggplants all over with a fork. Grill over coal or directly on the flames of a gas stove, turning occasionally, until skin turns black. Set aside and let cool. Peel and cut into 1-inch cubes.
4) Heat remaining oil in a pot over medium heat. Sauté onions with pinches of salt and pepper until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add half the garlic, ginger, chilies ; season with salt and pepper. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes.
5) Add beans and ¼ cup water, scraping the bottom of the pot. Cover and cook for about 3 minutes or until beans turn vibrant green.
6) Add eggplant, squash, coconut milk and ¼ to ½ cup water. Bring to a simmer and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the rest of the garlic. Serve immediately.