Tinutungan Na Manok
* 2 cups fresh coconut, grated
* ½ cup coconut vinegar, or rice vinegar, or coconut sap
* 2 cups fresh coconut milk
* 8 cloves garlic, minced
* 1 tbsp ginger, sliced
* 2 medium red onions, sliced
* 3 to 4 pieces bird’s eye chilies (siling labuyo), optional
* 6 quarters chicken leg and thigh, separated
* salt (to taste)
* ground black pepper (to taste)
* coconut, toasted, grated (to garnish) , optional
1) Pre-heat oven to 400˚F.
2) Combine grated coconut and coconut vinegar in a bowl. Transfer mixture to a piece of cheesecloth; squeeze liquid into a bowl. Set aside.
3) Spread squeezed grated coconut on a baking sheet. Roast in a pre-heated oven, stirring occasionally , until dark brown, about 8 minutes. Switch setting to broil (or the highest temperature)and roast coconut until slightly burned, about 2 minutes. Set aside.
4) Combine burned grated coconut, extracted coconut vinegar mixture, coconut milk, garlic, ginger, onions and chilies, if using, in a pot. Bring to a boil, then lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
5) Strain mixture into a pot. Set aside and keep warm.
6) Season chicken with salt and pepper. Grill or pan-fry chicken until browned, about 10 minutes (if grilling, you can wrap them in banana leaves first.
7) Place chicken on a platter. Pour coconut sauce over. Garnish with bird’s eye chilies and toasted grated coconut, if desired. Serve hot.