Tender Chinese Braised Pork Belly
* ½ kilo whole pork belly, sliced into 2-inch thick pieces
* 3 tbsp vegetable oil
* ¼ cup Japanese soy sauce
* ¼ cup dark soy sauce
* ½ cup rice cooking wine
* 1/3 cup brown sugar
* 1 piece (1 inch) ginger, peeled and grated
* 8 sprigs green onions, chopped
* steamed rice (to serve)
1) Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pork belly; reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 10 minutes. Remove pork from water and pat dry with paper towels.
2) Heat vegetable oil in a large wok over medium high heat. Brown pork belly on all sides.
3) Meanwhile, combine soy sauces, wine, vinegar, ginger and green onions in a large stockpot; bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Reduce heat to simmer; add pork and cover. Simmer until meat is very tender, about ½ to 2 hours, adding water as needed to keep pork submerged in liquid.