Crab Tortang Talong
* 3 long eggplants (asian)
* vegetable oil (to fry)
* 1 small white onion, chopped
* 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced finely
* 300 grams crabmeat
* a bunch cilantro (wansoy), leaves picked and chopped roughly, plus more leaves (to garnish)
* 4 eggs, beaten, divided into 2 eggs per bowl
* green onions, sliced (to garnish)
1) Grill eggplants over an open flame until skin is blackened and flesh is soft.
2) When cool enough to handle, peel skin away. Make a slit lengthwise down the eggplant with the tip of a knife and open it up, gently pressing it down with a fork to flatten.
3) Heat a couple of swirls of oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. Sauté onions and garlic until onions are soft and translucent. Add crab meat and toss. Season with salt and pepper. (Make sure to taste the crab meat first before seasoning, as it can already be a little salty.) Place mixture in a bowl; set aside to cool slightly.
4) Add chopped cilantro and 2 beaten eggs to crab meat; mix thoroughly.
5) Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan. When oil is hot, dip the eggplant in remaining beaten eggs then lay flat on the pan.
6) Place 1/3 of the crab meat on top of the eggplant and spread to cover the surface. Spoon some beaten eggs on top. Fry until underside is golden brown, spooning some of the hot oil on top to make the filling firmer for flipping. When underside is deep golden brown, carefully flip the eggplant. Cook until the other side is the same golden brown color. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
7) Garnish with extra cilantro leaves and green onions.