Chicken Cordon Bleu
* 4 chicken breast fillets, skins removed
* 2 slices ham, halved
* 2 slices cheddar cheese, halved
* ½ cup flour
* 1 large egg, beaten
* 2 cups oil
* ¼ chicken bouillon cube
* 1 ½ tbsp all purpose flour
* 1 cup water
* salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
1) Prepare chicken: Cut a length of plastic wrap the length of your cutting board. Place a chicken on the board horizontally, cut side down. Fold plastic wrap over the chicken. Using a meat mallet or the bottom of a frying pan, pound chicken breasts until about 1/4 inch thick. Repeat with remaining chicken fillets.
2) Place a fillet on the cutting board, cut side up. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Place a slice each of ham and then a slice of cheese on the chicken. Roll, enclosing the ham and cheese within the chicken. Set aside by placing chicken, seam side down on a plate. If desired, secure seam closed with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining chicken fillets.
3) Make a breading station: one plate each for the flour, beaten egg, and breadcrumbs. Lightly season flour and egg with salt and pepper and mix. Coat each chicken in flour, then in egg, then in breadcrumbs. Set aside.
4) In a frying pan over medium heat, heat oil. Once hot, add chicken and pan fry until cooked through. Remove from oil, and place on paper towels. Set aside.
5) Make gravy: Transfer about 1 tablespoon oil from oil used to cook the chicken into another pan over low heat. Add bouillon cube and dissolve in the hot oil. Sprinkle in flour, and stir to mix. Pour in water, and cook, stirring, until thickened. Serve with chicken.