Lemon Meringue Tart
* 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
* ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
* 8 large egg yolks, whisked slightly
* 2 (300 mL) cans condensed milk
* ½ cup fresh milk
* ½ cup lemon juice
* candied lemons
* 1 cup plus 1 tbsp sugar
* ½ tbsp corn syrup
* ¼ cup egg whites
* ¼ tsp cream of tartar
* ½ tsp vanilla extract
1) Pre-heat oven to 350˚F. Line and grease a 9-inch pan.
2) Mix crumbs and butter well. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of the prepared pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Cool.
3) Place egg yolks in a bowl. Combine condensed milk and fresh milk in a saucepot over low heat. Pour and mix 1/3 of the hot milk mixture in yolks. Add yolk mixture back to the saucepot. Stir in lemon juice.
4) Pour filling into crust and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until set. Let tart cool and chill overnight.
5) Make the meringue: Combine sugar, corn syrup and ¼ cup water in a pot over medium heat. Cover and boil for 7 minutes. Uncover and clip a candy thermometer on the side. Boil until temperature reads 240˚F.
6) In an electric mixer, whip egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed. Once syrup reaches 240˚F, pour it into the egg whites in a slow, steady stream. Turn speed to high and beat until fluffy. Fold in vanilla.
7) Pipe meringue eventually on top of tart. Brown meringue with a blowtorch, if desired. Garnish with candied lemons.