Triple Berry Muffins
* 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
* ½ tbsp baking powder
* ¼ tsp baking soda
* ¼ tsp salt
* ½ cup milk
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 large egg, beaten
* ½ cup butter, softened
* 1 cup mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries and raspberries), frozen, rinsed and drained
* 3 tbsp sugar
* ¼ cup brown sugar
* ¼ cup all purpose flour
* ¼ cup whole rolled oats
* 2 tbsp butter, cubed and kept really cold
* ½ tsp ground cinnamon
* pinch ground nutmeg
1) Pre-heat oven to 375˚F. Line a regular 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside.
2) Make the muffin batter: Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside ¼ cup of the mixture.
3) Combine milk, vanilla, egg and butter in a large bowl. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and mix well.
4) Combine berries, sugar and reserved flour mixture in another bowl. Mix until berries are coated well. Gently fold berries into the batter.
5) Portion batter equally among muffin cups, filling until two-thirds full.
6) Make the cinnamon crumble: Combine all ingredients in a bowl and rub ingredients together using your hands and fingers. Sprinkle crumble on top of each muffin.
7) Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Start the day right with fruity , fiber-filled muffins. Make them extra wholesome by adding flaxseeds and chia seeds to the mix.