To make the dough:
* 2 ¼ cups all purpose flour
* 1 ¼ tsp yeast
* 2 ½ tbsp butter
* ¼ cup white sugar
* ½ cup warm milk
* ½ tsp salt
* 1 egg, at room temperature
To make the filling:
* 2 ½ tbsp butter, melted
* ½ cup brown sugar, packed
* 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
To make the icing:
* 2 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
* ½ cup powdered sugar
* 2 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
* ½ tsp vanilla
1) Sift 1 ¼ cups of all-purpose flour with the yeast into a bowl. Set aside.
2) In a saucepan over low heat, mix the butter, sugar, milk, and salt together just until the butter melts.
3) Add the butter mixture to the flour mixture and add the egg. Beat with a wooden spoon for 10 minutes. Alternatively, beat on a stand mixer on high speed for 5 minutes.
4) Pour in the rest of the flour and mix until it forms into a dough.
5) On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until smooth, around 10 minutes. Form dough into a ball, transfer the dough into a lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a moist towel and let the dough double in size, around 1 hour.
6) When it’s done, punch down the dough and roll it out into a rectangle, around ¼-inch in thickness.
7) Generously brush the dough with melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. Gently roll into a log and cut into 8 pieces. Transfer the rolls into a 7-inch baking pan and cover with plastic wrap or a moist towel. Set aside and let the dough rise for 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake for 15 minutes.
8) Cool cinnamon buns before topping with cream cheese frosting.