Beer Battered Fish and Onion Rings
* vegetable oil (to deep fry)
* 1/3 cup cornstarch
* 1 tsp baking powder
* ½ tsp salt, salted pasta water
* ½ tsp cayenne pepper
* ½ tsp paprika
* 1/8 tsp black pepper
* 1 cup beer, chilled until very cold
* 2 large white onions, sliced into 1/3-inch thick rings
* 300 grams white fish fillets, sliced into 3 to 4 portions, patted dry with paper towels
* 2 tsp barbecue powder
* 2 tsp chicken powder
* ½ tsp sugar
* ¼ tsp paprika
* ¼ tsp salt
* 1/8 tsp pepper
1) Heat oil in a large heavy bottomed pan until it reads 350˚F to 375˚F on a deep fry thermometer.
2) Meanwhile make the beer batter: Mix together dry ingredients in a bowl. Transfer 1 cup of mixture to a medium bowl. Add beer. Stir slowly until just combined.
3) When the oil is ready, dip onion rings in batter. Fry in batches until golden and crisp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove using a slotted spoon. Drain on a wire rack, not on paper towels, to keep rings crisp.
4) Dip fish in batter and fry in batches until golden and crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Drain on a wire rack.
5) Make the spice mix: Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
6) Transfer onion rings to a large bowl and sprinkle with the spice mix, a pinch at a time. Toss to coat evenly.
7) Sprinkle spice mix on both sides of fish fillets. Serve onion rings and fish fingers immediately.