Leche Flan Cake
* 2 ¼ cups sugar, divided
* 1 tsp lemon or calamansi juice
* yolks from 6 large eggs
* 2 large eggs
* 1 cup evaporated milk
* 2 ½ cups cake flour
* 1 tbsp baking powder
* ¼ tsp salt
* 6 large eggs, separated
* ½ cup corn oil
* 2 tbsp calamansi juice
* 1 ½ cups sugar, divided
* ½ tsp cream of tartar
1) Pre-heat oven to 350˚F.
2) Make the leche flan: Place 1 cup sugar in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Sprinkle lemon or calamansi juice over and mix. Turn heat to medium and let sugar caramelize. Do not mix. Cook until golden brown, about 7 to 10 minutes. Swirl pan once or twice. Pour into 2 (8×3-inch) round cake pans. Set aside and let caramel cool completely.
3) Whisk egg yolks, eggs, remaining sugar and evaporated milk in a large mixing bowl, being careful not to create bubbles. Pour mixture over the cooled caramel and let stand. Set aside.
4) Make the chiffon cake: Sift together cake flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add egg yolks, corn oil, ¾ cup water, calamansi juice and ½ cup sugar. Mix well with a whisk.
5) Combine egg whites and cream of tartar in another bowl. Beat by hand or with an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment until frothy. Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until stiff but not dry, about 7 to 8 minutes.
6) Fold egg-yolk mixture gently into egg-white mixture using a large rubber scraper, being careful not to deflate the egg whites. Pour into the pans over the cooled custard.
7) Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs adhering to it. Cool for 10 minutes. Run a knife gently around the pans and invert the cakes onto serving platters. Serve cold or at room temperature.