Mango Candied Walnut French Toast
* 1 cup sugar
* ¾ cup water
* 1 cup walnuts
* 1 ½ cups milk
* 2 tbsp butter
* 2 tbsp sugar
* ½ tsp ground cinnamon
* ½ tsp salt
* 3 yolks from large eggs
* 2 tsp vanilla extract
* 10-12 (1-inch) thick slices Monroe bread
* 1 recipe basic French toast custard
* butter (for frying)
* whipped cream (optional)
* 4 large ripe mangoes, sliced thinly
* chocolate hazelnut sauce (to serve)
1) Make the candied walnuts: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. Combine sugar and water in a large frying pan over low heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium and let cook. Once it turns a light gold, add walnuts and keep swirling pan until mixture is amber in color. Pour mixture onto prepared tray. Separate walnuts with a fork and let cool completely. Store walnuts in an air-tight container until ready to use.
2) Make the custard: Combine milk and butter in a medium saucepan over very low heat. Cook until butter is completely melted. Let cool just until warm to the touch. Mix together sugar, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Whisk in yolks and vanilla. Slowly whisk in warm milk-butter mixture.
3) Dip each side of 1 bread slice into custard, about 15 to 20 seconds per side depending on dryness of bread.
4) Place a medium frying pan over medium high heat. Melt butter and fry one side of soaked bread slice for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Flip and fry for 2 more minutes. Repeat with remaining bread.
5) Arrange 2 to 3 French toast slices on a plate. Top with whipped cream, if desired, mango and candied walnuts. Drizzle with chocolate-hazelnut syrup. Serve warm.