Herb Crusted Roast Beef
* 2 ½ kilos whole beef short plate, trimmed of fat and silver skin
* sea salt and freshly ground beef
* 1 tbsp pink peppercorns, freshly cracked (available at Santi’s and marketplace by Rustan’s)
* 6 sprigs fresh thyme leaves, chopped
* 6 sprigs fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
* 5 cloves garlic, crushed
* ¼ cup vegetable oil
* 2 tbsp grainy or Dijon mustard
* 2 large carrots, sliced into ½-inch rounds
* 2 white onions, mustard
* 3 stalks celery, sliced into 2-inch lengths
* 1 cup dry red wine
* 1 tbsp butter
* 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
* 1 (14-ounce) can sliced or whole button mushrooms
* 2 tbsp all purpose cream
* salt and pepper (to season)
1) Pre-heat oven to 350˚F.
2) Season beef with salt and pepper. Set aside for 15 to 30 minutes. Combine pink peppercorns, thyme, rosemary and garlic in a bowl.
3) Heat a shallow heavy bottomed pan or griddle over high heat until almost smoking. Add oil and sear beef on both sides until brown and crusty.
4) Remove beef from pan. Spread mustard on top then sprinkle evenly with herb mixture.
5) Place carrots, onions and celery in a roasting pan. Place beef on top of the vegetables. Roast in the oven for 1 ½ hours for medium-rare doneness or 3 ½ to 4 ½ hours for well done, cooking it slowly until tender.
6) Remove pan from the oven, transfer meat to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
7) Make the mushroom sauce: place roasting pan with vegetables and drippings on the stove medium high heat. De-glaze pan with red wine and scrape off the brown bits at the bottom. Let wine reduce to ¼ of its original amount. Strain drippings.
8) Melt butter in a saucepan. Sprinkle flour and cook for 1 minute. Add drippings and whisk until smooth. Add mushrooms and cream. Season with salt and pepper.
9) Slice beef into ¼-inch thick pieces and serve with mushroom sauce on the side.