Cinnamon Sugar Cake Doughnuts
* 3 ½ cups all purpose flour
* 1 cup flour
* 1 tbsp baking powder
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 tsp salt
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
* ¼ cup unsalted butter
* 4 yolks from large eggs
* 1 cup sour cream , at room temperature
* shortening for deep frying (use 4 16-ounce cans Crisco)
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 to 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1) Sift together flours and baking powder into a large bowl; set aside.
2) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix together sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and butter on medium speed. Add egg yolks and mix until combined. Add sour cream and mix until combined.
3) Switch to the dough hook attachment. Add the dry ingredients. Mix until dough forms and pulls away cleanly from the sides of the bowl. Form dough into a flat disc, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to 2 hours.
4) Roll out dough on a clean, lightly floured work surface until ½-inch thick. Cut out circles using a 3-inch round cookie cutter. Punch a smaller hole in the middle using smaller cutters or piping tips. Refrigerate until ready to fry.
5) Heat shortening in a heavy-bottomed pan over low heat until it registers 325˚F on a deep-fry thermometer.
6) Make the cinnamon sugar: Combine ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.
7) Fry each doughnut for about 2 minutes on each side. Drain quickly and toss in cinnamon sugar mixture until well coated. Serve immediately.