Corn and Bean Fritters
* 1 pouch (230 grams) Hunt’s Pork and Beans, drained
* 1 can sweet corn kernels, drained
* 1 medium red onion, peeled, finely chopped
* 1 large green bell pepper, seeded , chopped small
* 2 cloves garlic, peeled, finely chopped
* 1 large egg, beaten
* 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
* salt and ground black pepper (to taste)
* 3 tbsp oil (for frying)
* ketchup (to serve)
* mayonnaise (to serve)
1) Drain the sauce of Hunt’s Pork and Beans. Set aside.
2) In a large bowl, combine drained Hunt’s Pork and Beans, corn, onion, bell pepper, garlic, egg, flour, salt, and ground black pepper. Add 1 tablespoon pork and beans sauce to the mixture for added color.
3) Heat a non-stick frying pan and add enough oil to lightly cover the bottom.
4) Make sure the pan is hot before adding a heaping tablespoon of the bean mixture into the hot oil, flattening it into a thin layer. Cook until the underside is firm. Flip, and brown again until cooked through.
5) Drain on a rack over paper towels. Serve with ketchup and mayonnaise on the side.
Tip: You can cook a small portion to test for seasoning, and adjust as necessary with more salt and pepper so you won’t end up with a bland or salty batch.