Chicken and Rice Casserole with Tomato Alfredo Sauce
* 2 tsp olive oil
* 1 tsp butter
* 1 kilo boneless chicken thigh fillets, each fillet sliced into four pieces
* 200 grams bacon, chopped
* 1 can (400 grams) diced tomatoes, drained
* 1 tsp dried basil
* 1 tsp dried thyme
* 2 tsp grated parmesan cheese
* ¼ tsp salt
* ¾ cup fresh milk, divided
* 1 (300 mL) prepared tomato and alfredo pasta sauce (use Bertolli)
* 4 cups cooked rice
* ¾ cup frozen peas
* ¼ cup slivered almonds, toasted
* ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
* ½ cup soft breadcrumbs
1) Add oil and butter to a pan over medium heat. Add chicken slices and sauté until cooked through. Add bacon and cook until brown. Set aside half of the bacon.
2) Add tomatoes, basil, thyme, parmesan cheese, salt and ¼ cup fresh milk. Stir continuously for about 1 minute.
3) Continue to simmer sauce for another 10 to 12 minutes or until sauce has reduced by half. Set aside.
4) Pre-heat oven to 350˚F. In a large bowl, combine Alfredo sauce and ½ cup milk.
5) Stir in cooked rice, peas and almonds. Mix until well combined. Transfer to a 9×9-inch baking dish.
6) Top rice mixture with sautéed chicken, bacon and tomato sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top of chicken, followed by breadcrumbs.
7) Bake, covered in foil, for 15 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 15 to 20 minutes or until breadcrumbs are golden. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.