* 2 tbsp butter, plus extra to grease
* 2 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
* 2 tbsp all purpose flour
* ½ cup fresh milk
* ½ cup grated gruyere cheese
* 2 tbsp finely chopped green onions
* 2 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
* 1/8 tsp salt
* black pepper
1) Pre-heat oven to 375˚F. Butter sides and bottoms of 2 to 3 (3-inch) ramekins. Dust with parmesan cheese to coat sides and bottoms; set aside.
2) Melt butter in a pot over medium heat. Add flour. Mix until well combined and cook for about 30 seconds. Gradually add milk and stir until mixture is thick.
3) Lower heat. Add gruyere cheese and green onions. Stir until cheese is melted. Add egg yolks. Stir well. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and set aside.
4) In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip egg whites until shiny and stiff peaks form. Fold 1/3 of the whipped egg whites into the cheese mixture with a wire whisk.
5) Gently fold in remaining egg whites and mix just until mixture is well combined. Don’t mix vigorously to avoid deflating the mixture.
6) Pour mixture into prepared ramekins, filling to the brim. Place ramekins on a baking tray and bake for 15 to 17 minutes or until tops are slightly golden. Remove from oven and serve immediately.