Dark Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Frosting
* 2 tbsp buttermilk powder
* ½ cup water, or as needed
* 2 large eggs
* ½ cup canola oil
* ½ cup sugar
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* ¾ cup cake flour
* ½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
* 1 tsp baking powder
* ½ tsp baking soda
* ¼ tsp salt
* ½ cup white chocolate, finely chopped
* 1/3 cup cream cheese, softened
* 1/3 cup butter, softened
* 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
* 1/8 tsp salt
1) Pre-heat oven to 325˚F. Place cupcake liner in a 12-cup cupcake pan. Set aside.
2) In a measuring cup, dissolve buttermilk powder and just enough water to make ½ cup.
3) Beat eggs, canola oil, sugar and vanilla extract together. Set aside.
4) Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in another bowl.
5) Stir in half the flour mixture into the egg mixture. Pour in butter milk mixture and gently stir to combine. Stir in remaining flour mixture.
6) Using an ice cream scoop, fill each cupcake liner about 2/3 full. Tap cupcake pan gently to release air bubbles. Place in pre-heated oven and bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of each cupcake emerges without any crumbs.
7) Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
8) Meanwhile, make frosting: Melt white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Set aside. Whip cream cheese and butter together until light and creamy. Stir in melted chocolate. Add half the powdered sugar and whisk to combine. Add remaining powdered sugar and salt and whip until light and fluffy. Transfer to an icing bag with a large tip. Decorate cupcakes once cooled. Serve at room temperature.