Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes
* 1 cup cake flour
* 2 tbsp unsweetened matcha
* ½ tsp baking powder
* ¼ tsp baking soda
* ¼ tsp salt
* 4 tbsp butter, lightly softened
* ¾ cup sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
* ½ cup fresh milk, room temperature
* 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
* 1 tbsp unsweetened matcha (to taste)
* 1 (227 gram) pack cream cheese, softened
* ¼ cup butter, softened
1) Pre-heat an oven to 350˚F. Line a regular 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.
2) Make the cupcake: Sift together flour, matcha powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
3) Cream together batter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment over medium-high speed for 3 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
4) Add egg and vanilla or almond extract and mix until well combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add dry ingredients over low speed. Add milk and mix just until combined.
5) Divide batter evenly among prepared cups. Bake in the oven for 16 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs adhering to it. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
6) Make the frosting: Sift together confectioners’ sugar and matcha powder in a medium bowl and mix well; set aside. Cream together cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment over medium speed. Add dry ingredients and mix until well combined. Transfer to a piping bag fitted with your preferred decorating tip.
7) Pipe frosting on the cooled cupcakes. Serve or refrigerate in a covered container for 5 days.