* 1 cup water
* 1 cup sugar
* 1 loose cup basil leaves, washed and torn
* 1 (2 ½ kilo) pineapple-peeled, cored and chopped
1) Combine water, sugar and basil leaves in a pot. Bring to a boil until sugar is completely dissolved. Take off heat and allow to steep for 10 to 15 minutes. Strain out basil leaves; cool and refrigerate syrup until ready to use.
2) Place chopped pineapple and half the basil sugar syrup in a blender; blend until smooth. Continue adding syrup until desired sweetness is reached (you may or may not use all of it.) Strain mixture into a bowl; strain a second time into a freezer-safe dish. Freeze for at least 6 hours.
3) Scrape granita using a fork to form icy crystals. Do this every 30 minutes to prevent granita from melting. Scoop granita into cups and serve immediately.