Patis-Glazed Fried Chicken
* 8 pieces chicken, drumstick, wings, breast or thigh
* 2 tbsp calamansi juice
* 1 tbsp fish sauce (patis)
* 1 egg, beaten with 1 tbsp water
* 2 ½ cups all purpose flour
* vegetable oil (to deep fry)
* fried shallots (to garnish)
* fried chili leaves (to garnish)
* 2/3 cup brown sugar
* ¼ cup water
* ¼ cup cane vinegar
* 2 tbsp fish sauce (patis) , to taste
* 1 ½ tsp chili flakes (to taste)
* 2 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 2 tbsp water
1) Marinate chicken in calamansi juice and fish sauce for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
2) Make the patis glaze: Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat except for chili flakes and cornstarch. Let sugar dissolve, about 1 minute. Increase heat and boil until vinegar’s acidity has cooked off.
3) Add chili flakes and cornstarch. Whisk until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Set aside and keep warm.
4) Pre-heat oil for deep frying in a deep, heavy bottomed pot. Dredge chicken in flour and shake off excess. Dip in beaten egg then dredge again in flour.
5) Deep fry for about 10 to 12 minutes or until skin is golden and chicken is cooked through. Drain on a wire rack.
6) Drizzle some of the glaze on chicken or toss chicken in glaze. Place glazed chicken on a platter. Sprinkle fried shallots and fried chili leaves over. Serve with remaining sauce on the side. Serve immediately.