* ¼ cup cornstarch
* ¼ cup all purpose flour
* ¼ tsp baking powder
* 1 tsp salt, plus extra, for seasoning
* ¼ cup cold water
* ¼ cup vodka
* 1 (200-gram) bunch alugbati (Indian spinach), leaves picked, washed and spun dry
* vegetable oil (for deep frying)
* mayonnaise (as dipping sauce)
1) Whisk together all the dry ingredients in a bowl.
2) Add water and vodka and whisk until smooth. If batter is too thick, add up to 1 tablespoon additional water.
3) Pre-heat oil in a deep, heavy bottomed pan.
4) Dip alugbati leaves one at a time, letting excess batter drip off, Carefully lower into hot oil and cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute or just until batter is golden and crisp. Cook in batches, remembering not to overcrowd the pan.
5) Drain on a wire rack or paper towels. Season with extra salt, if desired.
6) Transfer to a serving dish and serve with mayonnaise on the side.