Easy Tofu Sisig
* 2 blocks, around 300 grams each firm tofu or tokwa, rinsed and patted dry
* 2 red onions, diced, divided
* 10 cloves garlic, minced, divided
* 1 siling labuyo, minced
* 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
*vegetable oil, as needed
*3 tbsp soy sauce
*1 tbsp ginger, grated or finely minced
* ½ tsp black pepper
*1 tsp coarse salt
*1 tsp black pepper
*3 tbsp cane vinegar
*1 tbsp muscovado sugar
*1 tbsp calamansi juice
1) Slice one 300-gram tofu block into 1/4-inch cubes. Place in a bowl and toss with marinade ingredients. Let sit for at least 10 minutes.
2) Slice the other 300-gram tofu block into ¼-inch thick slabs. Rub both sides with the dry rub ingredients. Warm a thin layer of vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry the dry rubbed tofu slabs until crispy and golden brown on both sides, about 7 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined dish ; when cool enough to handle, chop into ¼-inch cubes and set aside.
3) Warm another 1 tablespoon of oil in the same frying pan over medium high heat. Sauté 1 diced onion, 5 minced garlic cloves and the sili labuyo until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the marinated tofu and bell pepper; stir-fry , mixing occasionally , until the tofu browns and the bell pepper softens, about 7 minutes.
4) Remove from heat and add the remaining 1 onion, 5 garlic cloves, fried tofu and sauced ingredients. Mix well and serve with sliced calamansi and brown rice.