* yolks from 4 medium eggs
* ½ cup sugar, divided
* ¼ cup all-purpose flour
* ¼ tsp salt
* 1 tsp vanilla extract
* 1 ½ cup fresh milk
* ¼ cup lime (dayap) or orange juice
* 16 lady fingers (broas)
* ¼ cup honey-glazed pili nuts, chopped coarsely
* 2 ripe mangoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
* ½ cup whipped cream
* zest from 1 lime
1) Make the pastry cream: whisk together egg yolks, ¼ cup sugar, flour, salt and vanilla extract in a bowl until well incorporated.
2) Place milk and remaining sugar in a saucepan over low heat and simmer gently. Slowly whisk in warm milk into the egg-yolk mixture and pour mixture back into the saucepan. Whisk over low heat until thick enough to cover the back of the spoon. Transfer to a bowl and let mixture cool.
3) Place lime or orange juice in a shallow bowl. Brush lady fingers with juice or dip in juice for 5 seconds.
4) Place 2 lady fingers on the bottom of a dessert or trifle glass. Add some pastry cream, chopped pili nuts and mangoes. Repeat to make another layer. Top with whipped cream and garnish with lime zest.