Grilled Shrimp in Aligue Sauce
*600 grams medium shrimp, shells removed, heads removed and reserved, tails left on
* 6 tbsp thai fish sauce, divided
* 2 tbsp cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
* 3 tbsp garlic, minced, divided
* 2 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 medium red onion, minced
* 2 green finger chilies (siling pang sigang) , sliced and seeded
* juice from 3 calamansi
* ¼ cup water
* 1 cup squash, diced
* 350 mL coconut milk
* 1 cup malunggay leaves
* ½ ripe mango, diced into ½-inch cubes (optional)
* steamed rice, or rice, or egg noodles (to serve)
1) Marinate shrimp in 2 tablespoons fish sauce, cilantro and 1 tablespoon garlic. Place in the refrigerator, covered for 20 minutes.
2) Heat a grill pan and grill shrimps for about 2 minutes per side or until shrimp changes color. Set aside.
3) Heat oil in a wok or saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions until translucent. Add remaining garlic and sauté until fragrant. Add reserved shrimp heads and chilies and sauté for another 2 minutes, squishing the heads to get the juices. Remove shrimp heads and discard.
4) Add crab fat and sauté for a few seconds. Add calamansi and mix. Add squash and the water and simmer for 5 minutes.
5) Add coconut milk and remaining fish sauce and continue to simmer for another 3 minutes or until squash is tender. Add the malunggay leaves, turn the heat off and stir.
6) Pour sauce on a serving bowl. Top with the grilled shrimp and diced mangoes, if using. Serve with steamed rice , or rice or egg noodles.