* 3 tbsp cooking oil
* ¼ cup annatto seeds (atsuete seeds)
* 1 head garlic, peeled and minced
* 1 kilo pork belly or shoulder, cubed
* 3 to 4 dried bay leaves
* ½ cup white vinegar
* 1 cup water
* salt (to taste)
1) Heat cooking oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Sauté annatto (atsuete) seeds for 2 to 3 minutes; strain oil and return to pan .
2) Sauté garlic in oil for 3 to 5 minutes. Add pork belly or shoulder and dried bay leaves ; cook for 10 minutes. Cook until pork fat is rendered and meat is browned.
3) Add white vinegar and water; simmer for 45 minutes or until meat is tender. Season with salt.