Montana BBQ Lengua
* 1 kg Montana ox tongue
* 1-2 cups water
* 1 whole garlic head
* 1 pc onion
* 1 tsp peppercorns
* 1 pc bay leaf
For Marinade sauce (mix everything together):
* 600 mL catsup, sweet blend
* 600 mL BBQ marinade
* 3 tbsp corn oil
1) Scrub and rinse the tongue several times. Place in a pot. Pour in enough water to cover. Add salt liberally, whole garlic, a whole onion, peppercorns and bay leaf.
(Note: If using a pressure cooker or slow cooker, you won’t need as much liquid—about 2 cups in a pressure cooker and 1 cup in a slow cooker.)
2) Cook the meat for several hours, about 10 hrs in a slow cooker, 3 hours in an ordinary pot and 1 ½-2 hours in a pressure cooker.
3) Cool the meat then peel off the skin. If the meat has been sufficiently cooked, the skin will come off easily. If it doesn’t, the tongue needs to be cooked longer.
4) Wrap the tongue in cling film and chill in the fridge before cutting.
5) When chilled, cut the tongue into half-inch steaks. Marinade with the sauce for 3 hours, or overnight if desired.
6) Pan-fry or grill steaks until the meat caramelizes or has grill marks. Reserve sauce.
7) In a sauce pot, re-heat sauce until slightly thick. Serve with the ox steak.