Yellow Chicken Adobo
* 4 tbsp vegetable oil
* 1 head garlic, minced
* 1 white onion, sliced
* 1 knob fresh turmeric, sliced
* 750 grams chicken, adobo cut
* fish sauce (patis), to taste
* ½ tsp black peppercorns
* ¼ cup vinegar
* 1 400-gram can coconut milk
* 1 bay leaf
* 1 to 2 green chili (siling pangsigang) , optional
1) Heat oil in a saucepan over high heat. Sauté garlic, onion, and turmeric. Add chicken and stir-fry for about 5 minutes.
2) Season with fish sauce and add peppercorns. Lower heat and cook until chicken renders its own liquid. Stir-fry until chicken is partially cooked and no longer pink.
3) Add vinegar and simmer, making sure not to stir, until acid cooks off, about 5 to 7 minutes.
4) Add coconut milk and bay leaf, simmer until thick and chicken is cooked through. Add chilies, if using, and season with more fish sauce if desired.