Asian Beef Stew
* 750 grams beef short ribs, sliced into 1 ½-inch chunks
* salt and pepper (to season)
* 3 tbsp all purpose flour
* 3 tbsp vegetable oil
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 3 thin slices ginger
* 1 medium white onion, minced
* ½ cup Chinese rice-wine
* 2 tbsp sugar
* 1 stick cinnamon or 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 3 pcs star anise
*1/3 cup light soy sauce
* 2 medium carrots, sliced into chunks
* 2 medium radishes, sliced into chunks
* 1-2 tsp sesame oil
* 1 tbsp cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tbsp water
* chopped green onions, for garnish (optional)
1) Pat dry beef and season with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour and shake off excess.
2) Heat oil in a large pot over high heat until smoking. Add beef to pan and brown all sides, about 3 minutes per side. Do not crowd pan and sear beef in batches, if necessary. Set aside.
3) In the same pot, sauté garlic, ginger and onion. Add rice wine, scraping the bottom of the pot. Add seared beef, sugar, cinnamon , star anise, soy sauce and enough water to cover beef. Lower heat and simmer, covered, until beef is tender, about 2 hours.
4) Add carrots and radishes, and continue simmering until vegetables are tender.
5) Stir in sesame oil and dissolved cornstarch; cook until sauce thickens about 1 minute. Garnish with chopped green onions.