* 8 stalks lemongrass, pounded and chopped finely
* 2 tsp chili flakes (optional)
* 8 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped finely
* 4 shallots, peeled and chopped finely
* 6 tbsp cilantro leaves and stems, chopped
* 500 grams round pork
* 4 tsp salt (to taste)
* 1 tbsp brown sugar
* 1 tsp calamansi juice
* 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
* 4 tsp galangal or ginger, grated
* 1 tsp ground turmeric
* 4 kaffir lime leaves, sliced finely
* vegetable oil (for frying)
* steamed rice and cucumber salad (to serve)
1) Using a mortar and pestle (or food processor), pound (or pulse) lemongrass, chili flakes (if using), garlic, shallots and cilantro into a paste.
2) Combine pork and remaining ingredients into a bowl; mix well. Add paste and mix thoroughly. Scoop mixture into 1/3 to ½ cup portions and form into patties.
3) Heat oil in a frying pan. Fry patties in batches over low heat until golden brown, about 5 minutes on each side. Serve hot with steamed rice and cucumber salad, if desired.