Arroz Con Pollo
* 1 cup cilantro leaves (wansoy), chopped, plus more for garnish
* 1 clove garlic, minced
* 2 tbsp lime juice
* 7 tbsp vegetable oil, divided
* salt and pepper (to season)
* 4 boneless chicken thighs
* 1/3 cup minced white onions
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* ¼ cup minced celery
* 1 ½ cups uncooked jasmine rice
* ½ cup canned kidney beans, drained
* 3 ¼ cups chicken stock
1) Place cilantro, garlic, lime juice and 4 tablespoons olive oil in a food processor. Blend until smooth then transfer to a bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2) Place chicken in a separate bowl. Pour ¼ cup of the cilantro mixture over the chicken and mix. Marinate for at least 1 hour in the refrigerator.
3) Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy-bottomed casserole or Dutch oven. When almost smoking, sear chicken, skin side down. Cook until skin is browned, about 2 minutes. Turn over and cook for 2 more minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
4) Heat remaining oil in the same pan. Saute onions, garlic and celery over medium-low heat for 3 to 4 minutes, or just until tender, but not brown.
5) Add rice and sauté until grains are coated well with oil and vegetables. Add beans and mix well.
6) Add chicken stock and remaining cilantro mixture; mix well. Let rice boil over medium heat then reduce heat to low. Cover with a lid and allow to simmer gently until almost dry , about 20 minutes.
7) Lay chicken on top of rice, cover and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes. Turn off heat and allow rice to settle for 5 to 8 minutes.
8) Spoon rice onto a plate and top with chicken. Garnish with cilantro leaves.